- 1.5kg/3Ib 5oz strong white bread flour
- 1 x 7g/6¼oz sachet dried yeast
- 50ml/2fl oz olive oil, plus a little extra for oiling
- pinch salt
- 570ml/20fl oz/1 pint warm water
For the topping
- sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- black olives-optional
- cherry tomatoes-optional
- Combine the flour, yeast, olive oil and salt in a mixer with a dough hook.
- Add the water to make a soft dough, and knead in the mixer until smooth and shiny.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about an hour until well risen.
- Tip the mix out onto a floured surface and knead to knock out any air pockets. Roll the dough into an oval-like shape about 2cm/¾in thick. Transfer to an oiled baking tray.
- Firmly press your fingers into the surface to ‘pit’ the surface. For the topping, drizzle with olive oil and lightly grind sea salt over the top.
- Put a small sprig of rosemary into each pit.
- Cover with a tea towel and set the loaf aside for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Transfer the loaf to the middle shelf of the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with balsamic vinegar & Olive oil for dipping.
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp rinsed, drained, and chopped capers
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp good quality anchovy fillets (optional)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Combine Kalamata olives, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, anchovy fillets,garlic, and pepper. Mix well. Refrigerate and use within two weeks.
Cashew & Rocket Pesto
- 110g fresh basil leaves
- 50g small Rocket leaves
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 25g Cashew nuts
- 50g freshly grated parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Pinch of salt
Put the basil, olive oil, pine kernels, garlic, salt, and parmesan into a food processor. That’s it and will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Serve hot crusty Foccacia bread with both dips and perhaps some cheeses.