We love this rich cake
200g Cream flour [plain flour]
250g granulated sugar
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon of salt
1 large egg
125g unsalted butter
150 ml natural yoghurt or butter milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cocoa
150 ml of Guinness
- Preheat oven to 180º C / 350º F / Gas mark 4
- Line your cake tin with parchment paper [if using a moulded cake tin, use baker’s non stick spray]
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Lightly whisk the egg, vanilla & buttermilk [or yoghurt] in a jug
- Then melt the butter in a saucepan, adding the cocoa and guinness. When it has just melted, stir is until smooth to ensure there are no lumps.
- Next, mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour the mix into the prepared tin and back for approximately 45 minutes. It is cooked when a tester [toothpick or thin skewer] comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to stand for 30 minutes before removing from the tin. Then turn it out to cool on a wire rack.
Serve with fresh cream, butter cream or your choice of sauce.
Guinness cake drizzled with caramel sauce [photo source: Gesine Bullock-Prado]