We make both cow and goat butters on-board. We also add different flavours. Our homemade butters are served with our galley made breads, scones and pastries and are also used to add flavours to meats and fish dishes. We would like to share our country butter recipe with you.
- 500mls of thick cream – cow or goat.
- 20ml of uncultured buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of flaked sea salt.
- Optional flavours lemon, chilli, roast garlic, herbs etc.
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and leave at room temperature for 24 hours. Cover with a clean tea towel.
2. Then chill for a couple of hours in a fridge. When it is well chilled, place the cream in a Kentwood chef or Thermomix and whip it vigorously until it splits. Squeeze the butter milk from the butter.
3. Keep the buttermilk to make scones.
4. Place the butter on a piece of muslin or cloth for a few minutes to absorb any excess moisture.
5. Serve with what ever flavour you wish to make herb butter, fruit butter or garlic.